Thursday, October 16, 2008

Just a couple a Utes in Cougar Country




I have been a Ute fan ever since I can remember. When I was little (I mean like 4 or 5 years old) my brothers and I used to fight with my two cousins about who was better, BYU or Utah. Their parents went to BYU, ours went to the U. So my allegiance was defined at a very young age and my cousins basically initiated any judgements I may have about stereotypical BYU fans. Over the years, I have become an even bigger U fan (even more than when I was attending the school) but I have also become tolerant of BYU fans as I have matured. Then we moved to Utah County...Dun Dun Dun!

We are nowhere NEAR Provo and we are inundated with BYU fans and their bumper stickers, flags, shirts, mugs, etc. We can't even go into the grocery store without BYU everything on display. AHHH! So, we did what any true blue (red) Utah fans would do in our situation - drove back up to Salt Lake County and purchased as much U paraphernalia as we could get our hands on to decorate ourselves, our house, and our car with.

Now we have a flag in our window (inside so no one steals it), a sticker on our car, and various red t-shirts, hats, beanies, coats, and sweatshirts all sportin' the U. Our house has yet to be egged.

NOW, we can't go to Costco with our U stuff on without 10 dirty looks AND comments from BYU fans! What the? We are proud U fans, but at least we are respectful! Occasionally we will get a random U fan pat us on the back for our bravery, but seriously folks, we are just representin'. We don't want to start anything! And now those old BYU fan stereotypes have started to creep back up. BTW, its just the BYU fans I don't know who feel the need to come up and make some snide comments that bug the crap out of me - not my good friends who happen to be BYU fans.

We were so fed up with Utah county and the BYU fans down there that we decided to go back up north and watch the Utah away game at Iggy's Sports Bar on the TV. At least we can hang with fellow utes and get a break from the crazy BYU fans, right? NO. A lady I had never met before was sitting at the table next to us while Justin and I were being seated. She was about 55 and was there with her whole family it looked like - kids, grand kids, etc. Now you tell me if you can't blame me for being a little miffed at crazy BYU fans:

Me: (seeing the lady staring at me) "Hi"

Lady: "Don't worry, we won't beat you up!"

Me: "Oh I'm not worried, lady"

Lady: "Haha...Ha....Ha......Oh...."

I think she got the point. But honestly, people. Who SAYS that?

And didn't BYU get a spanking last night from TCU?

GO UTES!!!!

3 comments:

MJJarman said...

BYU fans are ridiculous. They have to say things like that, because uptight mormon BYU fans can't trash talk to save their lives and it's really funny hearing them try! Good for you though, I loved your comment!

Unknown said...

What a crazy lady! BYU fans are totally psychodic!

Good for you for getting your Ute stuff and flaunting it. Our friends who live on the cusp of Utah county (Lehi) proudly display their red lighted U on top of their house. They even drive all red cars. But they don't tell BYU fans their going to beat them up! Yikes!

Good for you for braving the Utah county "bubble". I hope some of your red rubs off on some of those crazy's!

Emily said...

When I used to live in Orem I hung a giant U of U blanket in my window during Football season. Those crazed BYU fans didn't like that at all! In fact I remember having to clean the window once because someone threw eggs at it!