Monday, March 10, 2008

Moab Half-Marathon

Last weekend Justin and I went down to Moab with my fam for the Half Marathon. The original plan was for Kristopher, Brianna, Ann, Justin, my dad and me to all run the half marathon and Daniel and my mom would cheer from the sidelines. Ann, Kristopher, and Brianna are the only ones who ended up running it. We lost 3 soldiers during the training. My dad got a bad case of the flu, Justin's knees started to flare up, and I had some wacky issues with my back. 3 out of six isn't too bad. Secretly, I am not overcome with sadness that I didn't run the half marathon. I am NOT a runner. I am a dancer, yoga-er (made that one up myself), kick-boxer, swimmer, and basically any other form of exerciser other than runner. Justin and my dad ended up running the 5 mile run, and yes, I couldn't even do that.


The runners at 7am before the race



Ann crossing the finish line



Kristopher kickin' up dust



The 5 milers post-race



Finish line hug



They had a band and food after the race was over and these two hippies from the 60's IN their 60's were the only ones dancing. I tried to get the picture of him with this hands in the air and her twirling around flipping her head back, but there is too much of a delay on our camera. They still look awesome, though!




We hiked to delicate arch the next day. Although I couldn't run the 5 mile, somehow I managed to hike 3 miles. Go figure.


There are lots of piles of rocks like this along the way to help you find the path since much of the hike is not on a specific trail. There were also no bathrooms on the trail either......





There it is...breathtaking. I see this thing on the back of license plates all day long here in Utah, but to see it in real life is so magnificent. Last time I did this hike was 15 years ago. I seemed to have forgotten how powerful the "delicate" arch is in real life. Its amazing how this giant rock of sandstone can be so strong and vulnerable at the same time. It stands alone, by itself, exposed to the harsh elements that carved out this statue. Yet it remains solid. A monument to the beauty that adversity can create.



We decided to make our own arches.
"Double Arch"


Regular Arch

Not an Arch

2 comments:

The Prestons said...

I love Moab! We are heading down in a few weeks. It's the perfect spring-time destination. Looks like you had a fun trip! I've always wanted to do the half marathon. You'll have to tell me how everyone liked it.

MJJarman said...

I love Moab, Joe and I would go down there all the time! You should dye your hair, its fun! I used Feria's Brilliant Bordeaux. I'm glad you liked it. It would be cute on you, I remember the red wig you had, and that looked way cute! So good to hear from you! When you guys coming to visit?